join our ohana
Volunteer Your Time
Volunteering at the Honolulu Zoo is a great way to learn about animals, gain valuable experience, support a beloved community institution, support conservation initiatives, meet new people and work outdoors in a lush tropical environment! Join the Honolulu Zoo’s volunteer program and contribute to the Zoo’s mission of inspiring the stewardship of our living world.
The best part of volunteering at the zoo is being able to pass on some knowledge to people, especially young people, about wild animals so they will appreciate how wonderful nature is and do their part to protect and preserve it for future generations.
When I joined the staff of volunteers at the Honolulu zoo in 2011, I could not imagine that ten years later I would still be a part of this unique and wonderful ohana. The animals I love brought me here, but it’s the people that make me want to stay year after year. The volunteers come from all walks of life and bring their culture, their stories, and their experiences for all to share. We are similar in that we all love dearly our family of animals, whom we want our visitors to be more appreciative of and more knowledgeable about, but we are all so different that we really feel enriched by working together, side by side, in camaraderie and fellowship. Do join us! The fun never ends, and our menagerie is truly adorable!
Those applying to volunteer should meet these requirements.
- Be 18 years of age or older (Exceptions: Jr. Leader Program, Event Volunteers and Community Groups) (Please see program descriptions for updates due to COVID)
- Complete the required online Volunteer Application
- Pass a criminal background check
- Complete and sign the Waiver of Liability
- Successfully complete general orientation and volunteer training specific to the program placed
- Meet for an in-person interview with Volunteer Program staff and or other Zoo staff
- Meet the minimum time commitment of 3-6 months, depending on the program, minimum 1 shift per week
- Professional training for each program
- Gift shop and snack bar discounts
- Volunteer appreciation event(s)
- Furthering educational opportunities
- Discounts on Honolulu Zoo Society memberships
- Helping the Honolulu Zoo fulfil their mission, making a difference in the lives of staff, visitors and animals at the zoo and abroad.
For those under 18 please note our Jr. Leader program on the Volunteer Programs page