It continues to pour so they asked for more...
The Zoo staff have been so happy with our all-volunteer-constructed rain shelters that they asked for 10 more units!
HELP OUR RINGED-TAILED LEMURS...
... and get a lemur of your own!
Find out more...
Sumatran Tiger Photo: Bryan Thompson
The Honolulu Zoo's Animal Environmental Enrichment Program
The goal of the Honolulu Zoo's Environmental Enrichment Program is to involve all staff members; including keepers, curators and volunteers, in a zoo-wide program of effective environmental enrichment. We try to maintain the highest standards of animal welfare, where animals are healthy, active and exhibit a wide diversity of behaviors. Enrichment is becoming part of daily animal care on par with feeding and cleaning.
Environmental enrichment improves or enhances zoo environments for animals, stimulating them to investigate and interact with their surroundings. We enrich animal environments by making changes to structures in their enclosures, presenting novel objects and smells for them to investigate and explore, and by changing how we present food to them. Doing all of these things alleviates boredom by giving animals more choice of activity. It encourages them to forage, hunt and handle their food in ways that are natural to them in the wild. The traditional method of feeding zoo animals out of a feed pan does little to stimulate complex feeding behaviors. Enrichment keeps zoo animals active and interested in their environment.
For these reasons, enrichment improves animal welfare. It also enhances the public's experience of animals. And, for the endangered species we breed in the zoo, enrichment can help reduce stress and promote successful reproduction.
Photos & Videos
- Animal Enrichment Fire Hose Ball Weaving
- Animal Food Enrichment Recipes
- Black Howler Monkey
- Big Cat Day Video
- Bird Sanctuary Video
- Burmese Python Video
- Chimp (Frozen Fruit)
- Chimp (Foraging)
- Chimp (Termite Mound)
- Christmas with the Animals 2000
- Christmas with the Animals 2001
- Christmas with the Animals 2002 Videos
- Christmas with the Animals 2003
- Francois Monkey (Banana Stalk)
- Francois Monkey (Feeder Mop)
- Easter Egg Hunt & Enrichment
- Elephant (Beer Barrel Treats)
- Elephant Feast Video
- Giraffe Treat Jar Enrichment
- Lemur Bridge Enrichment
- Lemur Video
- Patas Monkey (Boomer ball)
- Patas Monkey (Foraging)
- Rusti Orangutan Christmas 2004 Enrichment
- Rusti Orangutan Video
- Sun Bear Tree Climbing
- Sun Bear Coconut Opening
- Serval fishing
- Spider Monkey (Flooded Exhibit)
- Tiger (Djelita's Birthday)
- Tiger (Bone Iceberg)
- Tiger (Animal Scents)
- Tiger (Plain Planet Ball)
- Tiger (Meat filled sack video)
- White Rhino Video
- White-handed Gibbon (Feeder Ball)
- White-handed Gibbon (Hammock)
- White-handed Gibbon/Siamang